Our personal introduction to juicing:
In my review here, I am including a personal story of our actual experience with a Breville Juicer (and the Juice Fountain Plus model we bought and use), and I also compare different models below in a nice summary format to make it easier for you to choose the right model to fit your budget and juicing goals.
After reading and studying a lot about different juicers, we decided on the Breville Juice Fountain Plus, although it is not the only option, but I would not trade it for another model, even after 3 plus years of using it!
In the past few years, I got interested in juicing because of several documentaries I saw that really opened my eyes to some truthful positives and negatives:
The negatives were the missing nutrients and diseases we face in developed countries from processed foods, and not receiving enough plant and vegetable nutrients in our diet (I am American and the American diet is calorie rich and nutrient poor, unless you study and work at your weekly menu to bring balance, organics and phytonutrients, AKA plant based nutrients, wherever you can).
Other negatives were the fact that my husband and I are getting older, and have young kids so we need energy, natural energy and have not been feeling like we used to in our 20s!
The positives were, that by incorporating juicing and other organic in-ways for phytonutrients, we could feel better and fight or increase disease prevention in our own bodies and for our future. Stimulants such as sugar and caffeine have been a part of our diet, but we have been working at reducing these (not eradicating them altogether because we want to have a little fun right?)
So we sought out to find an affordable, yet efficient and reliable juicer, looking at it as an investment in our health and our quality of life.
When we first got started with juicing, we over-did the fruit juicing, because we both gained weight in the first 6 weeks due to all of the sugar, so we had to adjust the ratios of fruits and vegetables we were juicing. We started juicing with the Gerson Therapy recipes, because they are known to fight diseases, which were mostly apple and carrot juice, but had to begin to incorporate more vegetables to reduce sugars and include other helpful phytonutrients that were beneficial as well.
We learned about all kinds of juicers, and at the time had about $200 in our budget for a juicer, so we wanted to get the very best bang for our buck, as well as a nice lifetime or warranty (or combination) out of our investment since we knew we would be using it alot!
UPDATE: After owning this model for over 3 1/2 years, it still works wonderfully and has been used ALOT!
- Great name brand and reliable quality
- Consistent performance even after 3 years of extended use
- Great price and affordability for most families
- Makes enough for the whole family to juice
- Can easily fit medium and small whole apples in without halving
- Safety locking arm protects users from injury and mess!
- Stainless steel body (plastic plunger, bucket and see-through cover)
- Fairly easy to wash in minutes
- Cord winds and stores nicely under the base
- Food contact parts are BPA FREE!
- Extracts a high percent of juice on either speed
- Pulp is fairly dry!
- The Juice Fountain Plus is the #1 Best Seller in Centrifugal Juicers at Amazon.
- Only 2 speeds, but we have not needed it for more
- No press for the pulp, but that only comes with very high end models
- juicing mesh a bit challenging to clean, but easy with a soft bristle brush
- No real cons that would make us pick another model for the price
- Does not masticate, but you can use some of the pulp from the refuse bucket if desired
Overall, we (our family) really have had no cons with our 3 plus years of using our Breville Juice Fountain Plus juicer! These "cons" were things we had to really think through in order to write them down, however, the performance, durability, and the ability of the juicer to extract so much juice getting the most possible juice without pressing is a huge plus!
And, it really is very easy to clean up, which is a major benefit for me being a busy mom, and for my husband being, well, you know, not all that thorough at cleaning up in the kitchen behind himself (wink wink).
Some other technical stats about the Juice Fountain plus that you might find helpful are:
- It has an Extra-wide 3-inch feeder chute
- You can juice an 8oz. cup in about 5 seconds
- It has a strong and durable 850-watt dual-speed motor
- Low speed 6500 RPM for softer fruits and leafy vegetables
- High speed 12,000 RPM for harder fruits like beets and apples
- Transfers less than 1.8 F of heat to preserve enzymes in juice
- Long lasting and powerful stainless-steel cutting disc which makes it fast and reliable
- The stainless steel Safety locking arm;
- Trip switch (overload) to protect the engine
- large-capacity plastic pulp collection bin (easy to clean too)
- All dishwasher-safe parts (except the base of course);
- The 1-liter juice jug has a nice froth separator shield,
- Nice filter basket, and
- Perfect cleaning brush for the mesh and juicing disc
- Has a 1-year limited warranty but you can buy an extended warranty
- ease of use
- ease of clean up
- ease of storing
- best bang for your buck at under $150
You can read more about this #1 selling Breville Juicer, Juice Fountain Plus at Amazon.com here, along with other testimonials and comparisons.